Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Last Exorcism (2010)

The first horror movie I've seen since The Human Centipede back in early October, The Last Exorcism is an excellent return to my cinematic love. Sure, draw up a Venn diagram of possession-genre devices and you're bound to see TLE overlapping with The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Rosemary's Baby, et al., but TLE still manages to postulate some originality and an unique tone. There are no cheap, ready-made gimmicks, e.g. jump-scares, musical stings, etc., just good old-fashioned suspense-building, tension, and subtle chills. I've seen a lot of people thumbs-downing the ending, but I disagree just as I disagreed with the derision of The House of the Devil's ending. This is a fine film. Good eye, Mr. Roth!

2 comments:

  1. Seconded, I thought this was a very smart film, and I have been rethinking the ending for days now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. In fact, I feel compelled to watch this again. Soon. It's as though something were implanted in my system and is slowly growing!

    ReplyDelete