Friday, August 12, 2011

I Saw the Devil (2010)

It's almost redundant to tag a movie as both "Korean" and "revenge," but at least the Koreans do the revenge plot better than anyone. For proof watch the Vengeance trilogy by Mr. Park or the recent release, The Man From Nowhere (more of an action thriller than horror). Luckily I went into this one cold; I knew nothing about it other than the cover art and the fact that Netflix predicted I'd like it 4.5 stars--quite high for my usually stringent rating. About 30 minutes in I felt like the movie had blazed through all the stages of a story: setting, characters, plot, conflict, climax, dénouement. I wasn't sure what could be done with the remaining 2 hours! Suffice it to say that I was thrilled with the direction of the plot, and the two leads could not have been more perfectly selected. And even though it was much longer than my usual ADD limit, I was glued the whole time, not to mention exhausted by the end. Check it out!

No comments:

Post a Comment