Friday, March 27, 2009

Pelts (2006)

Argento's Pelts is the first MoH entry I've seen so far that gives Miike's Imprint a run for its money. Dario Argento took a decent plot and poured on the graphic gore to produce a highly disturbing horror flick. Honestly, I cannot decide which was more disturbing to watch: Pelts or Imprint. What do you think?

The plot seems like it was thought up by a couple of guys out drinking. Some fat guy, who makes and sells illegal fur coats, is obsessed with a local stripper. He recovers the deadly pelts from one of his suppliers and aims to use them to sleep with her. Okay, it's deeper than that, but who cares? The point of this movie is to evoke terror and repugnance...and it gets the job done.

My favorite thing about the brutality was that it got increasingly worse. I hate it when the most vicious kill is done at the beginning of the movie. As the movie went on, each brutal scene got harder to watch. the special effects were equally mind-blowing; I couldn't believe how realistic they were. I'd have to say it's a tie between the guy cutting into his stomach with the scissors and the kid snaring his face at the beginning, as far as most uncomfortable to watch.

One last thing to note is how, like Jenifer, Argento connected the beginning to the end with the severed raccoon arm!

High honors for Pelts, a shrine to self-mutilation. Now, help me figure out whether I should move Imprint to second place.

Review Soundtrack:
Kanye West - "Heartless"
The Melvins - "Mechanical Bride"

[ About Horror Dose ]
[ FAQ ]

3 comments:

  1. Addendum: After thinking more about this, and re-reading my Imprint review, I think I've decided on Imprint for most disturbing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Imprint for second place, hands down. In fact, I don't even like Imprint. Pelts is by far the best MoH movie, only rivaled by Haeckel's Tale, in my opinion. I enjoyed saying "Surely they're not really gonna..." all the way through. And then, finally, they did! God, I love Meat Loaf...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gore-Gore Girl - You've mentioned Haeckel's Tale a couple of times. I aim to watch that as my next MoH movie.

    ReplyDelete