Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Uninvited (2009)

Synopsis: Young girl struggles to connect the mysterious fragments surrounding her mother's death.

Like(s): I have a propensity toward anything with a Maine setting--perhaps it has to do with my voracious reading of Stephen King's work. The two sisters are likable and pull you into their lives. Their father, David Strathairn delivers a solid role, as always.

Dislike(s): The movie obviously targets a young crowd, thus the scares are few and always minor. Elizabeth Banks's character is overacted; they have her try too hard, therefore making her innocence almost immediately apparent. The twist is more pronounced than the original: A Tale of Two Sisters.

Candidate For Omission: No.

Also Try: A Tale of Two Sisters.

1 comment:

  1. Neat review - I agree with all you say, though I don't think a younger target audience is a negative. I actually enjoy movies intended for girls younger than myself. I also agree about Banks' overacting, though I wonder, given the ending (trying not to give anything away), if it was intentional.

    Thanks for putting this on folks' radar - I really enjoyed this movie, in its own little way.

    ReplyDelete