Friday, June 5, 2009

The Red Shoes (2005)

First and foremost, the "shoes" in this movie are NOT red; they're pink! Unless I'm color blind, these shoes characters consistently referred to as red were undeniably pink. I know, I know, it's a little thing to complain about. But is it? If you're going to make the title of a movie The Red Shoes, make sure said shoes are red.

The premise of the movie plays on the typical Asian horror revenge/envy plot. Can't these Asian people just move on and find peace and happiness? Well, if they did we wouldn't be able to sit back and enjoy these great human psyche thrillers! And hey, at least the catalyst was a pair of shoes and not a camera, modem, television, computer, or some other electronic device!

In typical K- and J-Horror fashion, we get a savory mix of pallid apparitions haunting long corridors, elevators, subways, and the trademark flickering light bulbs. I'm growing a little tired of these tactics, but there is one scene where the ghostly girl from the elevator walks right past the heroine that really gave me the creeps. Aside from that it's your typical, run-of-the-mill Asian horror. But, keep in mind, that doesn't mean the movie is bad. On the contrary, the typical, run-of-the-mill Asian horror film is generally better than most.

After seeing Pulse last night I wasn't sure if I'd even stay awake for The Red Shoes, but I found it much more enjoyable. It was shorter for one thing, which fits my A.D.D., and the structure was tighter. Whereas Pulse would give a thrill (and they were eerie), then a load of exposition, this film felt sure of itself from start to finish.

2 comments:

  1. I think you missed the reason it's called red shoes...they're always covered in blood.

    ReplyDelete