Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Cabin Fever 2: Spring Fever (2009)

Rating: A
I'm not sure where, exactly, this film falls in the chronology of Ti West's releases, but it only carries with it shades of Ti West's directorial imprint. It has the quickest pacing of all his films by far, and contains the most special effects of, well, a lot of films! After watching the over-the-top, cheap (thanks for the adjective Gore-Gore Girl) effects of Tokyo Gore Police, Cabin Fever 2 was a breath of fresh air. Fingernail gore, for instance, has always managed to "get" me, but this film pushed me to the limit! And that's just the beginning of its gruesome antics. In addition to pleasing bloody (and other fluid) gags, the film keeps a consistent balance between comedy and gore that is just plain fun. Plus, it contained a bunch of familiar horror faces including Noah Segan (Deadgirl), Michael Bowen (Autopsy, The Lost), and Marc Senter, who basically reprises his role from The Lost (2005). I will definitely be watching this again and again. I will not spoil it for those who are for some reason reading this without having seen the film first, but they couldn't have picked a better character to open the film! The rare great sequel has been achieved.

HorrorBlips: vote it up!

4 comments:

  1. good to hear! i rather liked the first one!

    p.s. i did what you suggested and got one of West's other movies - Trigger Man. right on. i'll get The Roost and then try the newer one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - tight. I just read a review somewhere that said this was beyond terrible, and the director tried to have his name taken off the film. I enjoyed Cabin Fever, even though so many people hate it (and even Eli Roth has said he doesn't like it), so that's exciting to hear that the sequel is fun and gory.

    Oh, and fingernail gore "gets" me too - you seen Stir of Echoes? Regardless of what you think of the film, that goddamn fingernail sequence just permeates the whole fucking film. Eesh. Oh, and then there's The Fly...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely loved Cabin Fever 2! I feel bad for Ti West since they tacked on an ending and didn't let him edit it they he wanted. But, his charm is still all over this movie and I couldn't get enough of it.

    Yeah, make that a 3rd on fingernail violence...ouch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebekah - Excellent news! Let me know what you think of THOTD.

    GGG - Yes. Yes. Yes. UGH! A colleague and I were discussing this part in The Fly earlier. Sever a head, impale someone's midsection, but please, please don't mess with fingernails!

    Becky - I knew something wasn't right with that ending. It seemed like a lame afterthought. Glad we found a common ground here with Cabin Fever 2. I had actually written it off since I loved the first one so much, and because sequels mostly blow. But, yeah, great movie! Do you have a review of this one up? Or a CAPS review?

    ReplyDelete