Sunday, January 17, 2010

An American Werewolf in London (1981)

Rating: B+
It's amazing how well this movie holds up. The first time I watched this was seventeen years ago when I was eight. It wasn't scary this time around, but it was still a lot of fun. The transformation scene remains visually satisfying despite advances in special effects. The lead, played by David Naughton, was a perfect choice, as was Jenny Agutter. Watching this movie again reminded me that I need to watch more werewold movies, so, next up in this category: American Werewolf in Paris (available on Netflix Instant Viewing), The Howling, and Dog Soldiers. What else can I say? Oh yeah, All Hail John Landis!

HorrorBlips: vote it up!

2 comments:

  1. "The transformation scene remains visually satisfying despite advances in special effects."
    Indeed! Despite the campy overtones that detracted me personally from this film, the transformation scene remained one of the best (if not the best) for many, many years. I would love to see some posts around this subject in particular, with our fellow bloggers giving examples of werewolf transformation scenes of merit. If the film also included genital mutilation that would be an added bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does B+ = A+? This is my single favorite Horror film if not film ever made. I love it. I think it is the perfect blend of comedy and Horror, with a brilliant script and perfectly written characters. I will always prefer it to THE HOWLING on so many levels!

    ReplyDelete